Thinking! Critical Thinking! Cognitive Dissonance!
These are some of the topics I like to think about.
Here are some of my ‘bullet points’ relating to some of my favourite topics.
- Those who ask questions need to be tolerated – they are needed to confront unexamined assumptions – such as the futility of searching for happiness in the accumulation of wealth.
- What place endless growth; ceaseless exploitation and constant expansion?
- Humanity sees what it wants to see – it creates myths – it ignores unpleasant facts – education (a funnel) is turned into vocational training.
- We don’t know where we are going or why!
- Why do we turn a blind eye?
- There is so much evidence of social decay!
- The idea that reality is physical and rational blinds us to the truth!
- The need for beauty, grief, love, the search for meaning, the struggle to face our own mortality and the ability to face truth are important.
- How can a civilisation based on human emotion and greed survive?
- Logical reasoning is focused on a finite and identifiable goal?
- Is it true that thinking has no utilitarian function – no aim outside itself?
- Culture has effectively severed us from human imagination – the space that was once reserved for solitude, reflection and privacy!
- So many thinkers have been tossed into a wilderness where they are seen as unimportant!
- But thinkers and artists are needed more than ever in times of crisis! They provide the subversive narratives that allow us to consider new directions.
- Corporate capitalism is surely leading us towards self-annihilation?
- Are we strangers in our own country or an outcast from self?